Acute episode of COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Increased difficulty breathing
- Flared nostrils
- Increased respiratory rate
- Abdominal effort in breathing
- Can audibly hear horse breathing
- Get the horse inside if he was outside or outside if he was inside
- Assess your horse’s temperature, heart rate and respiratory rate
- Cold hose your horse if outdoor temperature is hot
- Call your veterinarian
CALL YOUR VETERINARIAN
- Your veterinarian may have you give some Banamine and/or Dexamethasone.
- Be able to tell your veterinarian if your horse has had heaves before and what medications your horse is on.